Sunday, June 7, 2015

Introduction

Hello, and thank-you for taking an interest in my blog.
Let me take a minute to introduce myself.
My name is Rachel Theriault.  I am a daughter, wife, and mother of 3 wonderful children.  I have always had a dream of working in a domain where my creativity can roam free, and photography gave me the outlet I was looking for.
I started as a self-taught photographer, but throughout the years I have taken the opportunity to join many great minds  by taking courses taught by other photographers, and at every chance waiting around at the end of the class to talk to them and learn as much as possible by asking questions and hearing stories of their experiences.  It's always a treat when you get to listen to a fellow photographer tell of their travels across the world on freelance opportunities, or stories of the people they meet while they are photographing them.
Photography is such a wonderful outlet.  The most minute object can become huge through the lense. Something like a raindrop on a window opens up a world of opportunity.  The best part of photography is being able to tell a story through the lense.  Capturing a moment in time.  It is often said "a picture speaks a thousand words", and I agree 100%. I always remember looking back though the old photographs with my grandparents and hearing the stories about when they were growing up,I watching their faces light up when a photo triggers a happy memory.  The emotion that is held in those photographs is monumental!
I grew up in an entrepreneurial family, and was always taking photos of the items we offered, and the locations we worked out of.  I have seen many fellow entrepreneurs open their doors over the years, and am flattered when I get the chance to go into their new place of business and photograph their dream.  Retail property or product photography, people pour their heart into their small business and being able to showcase the pride and hard work they have put into their dreams is a particular joy of mine.
Of course being a mother has it's perks as well.  I love using my kids as models for my portfolio (and of course as the photos we put up on the dining and living room walls)  Children are some of the best models.  They are naturally happy and LOVE seeing a camera.  When my kids get together with their cousins and we decide on a photo shoot, we can shoot for hours.  They do costume changes, location changes, and never seem to get tired of smiling.  Looking through the hundreds of photos after a shoot is always a gem!
I leave you with one of my favorite quotes
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving.  What you have caught on film is captured forever.... it remembers little things long after you have forgotten everything" - Aaron Siskind.



No comments:

Post a Comment